Changing Child Support

To protect the best interests of a child and ensure that child support payments are fair to all parties, child support payments may need to be adjusted from time to time. Child support agreements can be changed by agreement of both parties at any time.

Child support orders cannot be changed by a new agreement – a new order is required. If both parties agree about changing a child support order they can ask the court for a new consent order. If the parties disagree about the change the court can be asked to decide the matter.

A court will only order a change to child support under certain circumstances. It is helpful for parents with either a child support agreement or order to understand the factors a court will consider when asked to decide the matter. This information can help parties negotiate an agreement or decide to proceed with a court application to change an existing child support order.

When a Change May be Ordered

Where child support payments are based on the child support Tables, any change of circumstances that would result in a different child support order can justify a change. Types of changes that affect the Table amount include things like a change in the paying parent’s income or the fact that the child now lives with the paying parent at least 40% of the time. Other circumstances that could justify changing an order include situations where a child has moved out and withdrawn from the parent’s control.

Child support payments that were not determined in accordance with the Tables may be changed if there is a change in the means, needs or other circumstances of either parent or of the child.

When deciding on the new amount the court will consider the same factors that are considered when a child support order is first made.

Reporting Changed Income

Our laws place a responsibility on both parents to ensure that their children are receiving a proper amount of support. While a paying parent does not have a duty to automatically disclose income increases or increase child support payments, a court could order retroactive child support if the paying parent simply does nothing. A retroactive child support order adjusts the child support payments to what they should have been based on the increased income.

If the [paying parent’s] income rises and the amount of child support paid does not, there will remain an unfulfilled obligation that could later merit enforcement by the court… No child support analysis should ever lose sight of the fact that support is the right of the child… Even if the parents choose not to seek a variation of an order, depending on why (and how freely) this choice was made, the child may still have the right to receive support in the amount that should have been payable. The certainty offered by a court order does not absolve parents of their responsibility to continually ensure that their children receive the appropriate amount of support.

~ Supreme Court of Canada

In deciding whether to a order retroactive variation of a child support the court will consider factors such as:

  • Why the other party did not apply to change the child support order earlier.
  • The behaviour of the paying party, including whether they hid an increase in income from the other party.
  • The circumstances of the child.
  • Any hardship making or not making the retroactive child support order could cause for the paying parent, the child or the receiving parent.

Child Support Service

The Child Support Service of the Government of Saskatchewan can be used to recalculate a child support order or agreement as an alternative to going to court. There is no charge for this service. The consent of one parent only is required to use the service. Interim orders as well as final orders can be recalculated. The service cannot be used to recalculate child support payments if:

  • The parent paying support has self-employment, farming, or rental income.
  • The income of the parent paying support is $150,000 or higher.
  • A court date has been set to hear an application for child support.
  • Less than six months have passed since the date of the most recent child support order, agreement, recalculation decision, calculation decision or family arbitration award.
  • The income in the parent paying support was imputed.
  • The amount of support was not determined based on the Child Support Guidelines.
  • A parent resides outside of Saskatchewan, unless that parent agrees to use the service.
  • The person paying support stands in the place of a parent (in loco parentis).
  • The applicant is the parent paying support and they have no income - unless the other parent agrees to a recalculation
  • The child support document indicates the child support amount cannot be recalculated.

The application form is available online. A copy of the agreement or court order you applying to have recalculated must be included. If you applying to have an agreement recalculated you must first file it with the Court of King's Bench.

The Child Support Service does not recalculate retroactive payments, arrears or special or extraordinary expenses.

Parties have 30 days to apply to court to vary or suspend the recalculation decision.

Dealing with Arrears

A parent who has failed to make child support payments as required may request that a court cancel or reduce the amount owing. The amount owing is referred to as arrears. A request to cancel or reduce arrears is made by an application to vary. The court will only consider this if there has been a significant and long lasting change that affects the paying parent’s ability to pay child support. The court will then look at:

  • the needs of the child
  • the paying parent’s ability to pay child support at the time they got behind
  • the paying parent’s ability to pay now and in the future
  • whether paying the arrears would cause undue hardship to the paying parent
  • any explanation regarding a delay in asking for relief from arrears
  • any unexplained delay in enforcing arrears that would prejudice the paying parent

[It is] well established law that in order for arrears to be rescinded, it must be demonstrated on a balance of probabilities that the payor cannot and will not in the future be able to pay the arrears….

~ Court of Queen’s Bench for Saskatchewan

When Child Support Ends

Sometimes a court order or an agreement will clearly indicate the point at which child support will no longer be payable. Other times the order or agreement may not state when it ends or will simply say it will continue as long as the child remains a child. In these cases, it will continue in effect after the child has turned 18 if the child is unable to support themselves because of something like a disability or full-time attendance at school.

In these situations the Maintenance Enforcement Office (MEO) will generally continue to collect support payments beyond the child’s 18th birthday if they are provided with adequate proof of the ongoing dependency of the child. If the parties disagree about whether child support is still required to be paid, the paying parent may need to apply to court to have the order changed.